Sunday, November 22, 2009

Walk Through The Fire

All I can say about Friday's record release party in Sausalito is: "way to go, Mark!!!" The current version of Jemimah Puddleduck is an amazing lineup of talent including Wally Ingram on drums and of course, Mark on lead guitar. I am ashamed to say I didn't pay much attention to the rest of the band but they were effing amazing! Started out with "Annie Don't Lie" and blues boogied their way through the night, sounding at times evocative of Little Feat and/or Johnny Rivers during the "Rockin' Pneumonia" phase, and other times, similar to mid 1970s Elvin Bishop. Mark's originals are wonderful: especially the title song which holds a place in my heart and has since Mark first emailed me a rough, unmixed cut of it while I was undergoing my own walk through the fire last year around this time. For those of you who do not know the story, Mark wrote the song while he was in the hospital, undergoing chemotherapy for stage 4B throat cancer. Two years now he is cancer free and going strong! I am so happy for Mark and Maile and so thrilled to have had the two of them in my life during this past year. To listen to a sample of what I am talking about:

Walk Through The Fire

The last few songs of the night on Friday included a special guest - Bobby Weir popped in after a "Furthur" show in Fairfax and the band played a few Dead type tunes including "Sugaree" and "Turn On Your Lovelight." We left as Lovelight was winding down - the show was great fun and I had a blast. Thanks again, Maile and Mark, for including me. I will be back, that is certain!

No comments: