Saturday, October 20, 2007

Kite Runner

Last Sunday at the Mill Valley Film Festival, we (Peter Albin, Karen Lyberger, Beth Levy and myself) were waiting in line to get in to see The Trips Festival film and we had to wait an unusually long time, even though we were near the head of the line. Kite Runner was so controversial that not only did it require special security measures, it inspired several on the spot interviews with the filmmakers and so we were not allowed into the Sequoia until that had cleared away. I had wanted to see the film but figured I would wait until it hit general release in December. Thursday at City Lights, the book literally popped out at me from the shelf and I had to buy it. This book is so good I read it all the way through in two sittings. And now I am wondering if I really want to see the film because some scenes in the book, while disturbing, were alright to read but I am not sure I want to actually watch the rape of a twelve year old boy. I will have to think about that for awhile.

No comments: