Saturday, September 15, 2007

Powerless

Have you ever felt truly, horrifyingly unable to do anything? Does the finality of reality occasionally overwhelm you? (sheesh, I sound like a late-night info-mercial - but wait, there's more...). Right now, I have a really good friend, someone I love more than just about anyone else in the entire world, standing in the path of a runaway train and I am completely frozen in place. I want to rush in and push him out of harm's way but he is standing directly in the path of the moving vehicle, staring straight at it -- not even like a deer staring into headlights -- and I don't think he wants my help. It is as if he knows what is coming and may actually want the train to knock him into blessed oblivion. And yet he has so much! So much talent, so much intellect, so much kindness and love for others when he lets it show. Such a waste. Do I rush in and try to help and risk losing a lifelong friend or do I let the train hit him and lose him anyway?

I guess if William Shakespeare were alive in the age of twelve step programs and self help support groups he would probably say to me, "get thee to Al-Anon." And maybe I should find a meeting and go.

3 comments:

steve said...

not knowing you at all, but having been in your situation I will try and put myself in your position. I would approach him.....tell him what you see, how you feel and ask if he wants, needs your help.

what is the worse thing that can happen? whatever that is, is it something you can handle, live with??

Mizshely said...

Thanks for the advice. As the King of Siam said to Mrs. Anna, "Naturally! This is what I shall have decided to do." Actually, I pretty much decided to do that anyway, this person means far too much to me to let it slide without taking a firm stand. And if it all blows up on me and I am the bad guy, so be it, at least he will know my position on the matter and I will have some satisfaction (if you can call it that) in knowing I made an attempt. "God grant me the wisdom to know the difference..."

DebGrabien said...

You know how I feel about it. And all I can say is, whichever way you decide to handle it, I've got your back. There for support and backup, if needed, including a ClueBat should yours wear out or break while you happen to be beating said friend over the head with it....