Monday, April 23, 2007

Meanwhile, Back in Annapolis

It has been pointed out that I barely mentioned the recent New Riders shows in Annapolis, Maryland at the Ram's Head Tavern. Let me just say right off, I love that place. It is non smoking, which is a blessing for me (and those around me who do not have to hear me bitch). The first night, we had dinner with the band there at the Tavern. The food was pretty good, the drinks were great, and the service was excellent - especially our waitress, Sarah, who turned 21 at the stroke of midnight. Again, Sarah, happy birthday! And thanks for keeping the Peach Melbatinis coming my way!!!

When we walked into the club during the sound check, the band stopped playing rather abruptly. I did not think too much about it at the time (as I told Johnny later, that sort of thing is not on my radar). However, the reason for the sudden halt was because they were practicing a break out song to surprise me, which happened later in the evening when they played "Old Man Noll." The playing of that song was serendipitous - Tricia, Brad and I had just been discussing it that afternoon at lunch. I told them that the last time I heard that song, I had picked up Marmaduke at his dad's house and was driving him to see David at one of those shows he sometimes plays at the church in Mountain View. En route to Mt. View, we passed "the knoll" and John pointed it out and started singing the song to me. That has to be at least five years ago now. So it was really special that the band worked up that song for me!!! So according to Timmy Sound Dawgy Stiegler, here is the setlist:


  • i dont know you
  • what cha gonna do
  • contract
  • dirty business
  • sutters mill
  • 15 days under the hood
  • old man knoll * first time played
  • peggy-o
  • lochinvar
  • henry

    2nd set

  • rocky road blues
  • sing me a rainbow
  • sweet marie
  • diamond joe
  • last lonely eagle
  • higher
  • der amanap
  • panama red
  • take a letter maria
  • lonesome la cowboy
  • let it bleed

    encore
  • ripple

    For me personally, I love Peggy-O and Lochinvar. After the show, David asked me why I was so happy and why I was laughing during Ripple. I said I was happy because I got to see my favorite band and denied laughing or giggling during Ripple. Excuse ME for having fun! Actually, if you scroll down this page, you will see the photo of Captain Toast with his laugh machine. I think THAT may be what David was referring to, but it was not I blaring it through the P.A. or the sound board.
  • No comments: