Monday, December 04, 2006

"The Red Wheelbarrow"

I finally got some sleep last night. Some serious sleep. After five straight days of partying and gigs, four with the New Riders of the Purple Sage and one with the Rowan Brothers, I deserved some sleep. And thanks to amitryptiline, I got some. Weird thing was, I awakened this morning at 10:42 (very late for me) with William Carlos Williams' "The Red Wheelbarrow" going through my mind. I have not thought of that poem since college and there it was, the whole thing, in my head for some unfathomable reason. I googled the poem and there are literally thousands of articles and papers on that one simple poem:

So much depends upon a red wheelbarrow,
glazed with rainwater,
beside the white chickens

I am not going to attempt to dissect this poem. I struggled with it in school. I merely post this because I am slightly freaked that after all this time, the damnable thing popped into my head. If anyone out there has a clue as to why this is happening, please, oh please, enlighten me!

No comments: