Friday, December 22, 2006

David Nelson Trio at Iron Springs Pub

Last night's attendance must have set a record at the Iron Springs Pub. They were turning people away at the door and there was a sizable crowd gathered outside, peering at the band through the steeming glass windows. All that was missing was "Hello Wisconsin" signs and Matt Lauer and it could easily have been the Today show.

I'm nobody's fool - I got there early enough to secure a primo table and the rights thereto. My friend, Deb, and I had a great dinner while we waited for the band to arrive and the show to start. We were joined later by other friends, Ken and Nick, and Jeanette Sears. It was wonderful to see so many familiar faces: Ray and Ethel Mann(who gave me some beautiful art work), Marc and Audrey Blaker, Joanie Webb (who I only saw outside but she appeared to be enjoying the show), Jerry "Easy Wind" (back from a multi-year, self-imposed Nelson Band exile), Liz Hildebrand, Lee, Todd from Forestville, Mark Keys, Rob Bleetstein, Kelly from Santa Cruz, Kelly from Alameda, Joe Kohn, Jackie Kaukonen, and so many others - if I have forgotten to list the name it is not because I didn't see you or notice, just my brain being addled.

The band was great and I must admit, this is the first time I have ever seen a four-person trio. Banana Levenger was the additional person and he added quite a bit to the lineup. Sadly lacking was a drummer - even though Pete Sears was wonderful on bass, it was quite a task to hold everything together with a one man rhythm section. David's vocal on "Box of Rain" was exceptional - everybody said so!

My back is killing me so I am going to bed. Sorry to be a party pooper! That, and I have misplaced my cordless phone and cannot locate it using the page feature because I turned off the ringer - if you call and I don't answer, it is because I cannot find the phone.

Oh, AND THE WOOD IS ALL GONE THANKS TO THE HEROIC EFFORTS OF HELANA FITZGERALD!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: