Monday, November 20, 2006

TURISTAS

Where to start? Let's see, I received an email containing two free passes to a screening of the film, Turistas, which I really wanted to see because it stars yet another love of my life (even though we have never met) Josh DuHamel (Leo Du Pres, All My Children). Annie Pierson and I drove over, parked the car, had a quick bite at Chevy's there in Embarcadero Center, and went in to see the film. Wouldn't you just know it, I won one of the door prizes but it was one of the last ones so instead of a goody bag, I got a large poster (I already got a small one at the door).

Anyway, the film started and while it was fairly well acted, almost from the get-go it bothered me. I knew it was going to be a thriller: what I did not know is that it was a gory thriller (mutilating people, cutting out their vital organs, etc.) It was far too graphic for me. About 30 minutes into the film, I noticed Anne was shading her eyes (as I had been doing for most of the film because hey, this movie gets right to it, no easing in to the disgusting parts) and I said, "Do you want to leave?" "Yes," she replied, so we got up and split. The rest of the audience looked at us as if we were nuts! Anne was so blown away, she gave them back the free poster on our way out of the theatre.

All I can say is, reviews of the film say it is good, and it may be. I was not willing to sit through the blood and gore - period. Had I paid for admission, I would be pissed. And at least, we had validated free parking.

Forewarned is forearmed, and all that jazz.

No comments: