Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Save the Animals - Drive Carefully

Last week, when I was on my way to a meeting for the Family Dog's "A Chet Helms Tribal Stomp," a squirrel ran out in front of my car. Thanks to ABS, I was able to stop quickly and avoid hitting the squirrel. The BMW driving bimbo behind me just missed rear-ending me and started screaming - she followed me almost all the way to my destination, gesturing and screaming. I was actually happy I saved that squirrel and besides, had she hit me, the accident would have been her fault.

Later, I noticed a number of dead raccoons, squirrels and skunks on the roadway, all victims of vehicles which either could not or would not stop in time. And two days later, I was crestfallen to come over Wolfe Grade and see a beautiful six point buck lying in a ditch on the side of the road, panting heavily and being restrained by a CHP officer. The woman who hit the deer had pulled over and stopped immediately and called for help. I hope the animal was not mortally wounded - I didn't stick around to find out but I cried the rest of the way home. At least this woman stopped and called for help.

I guess my point is, this time of year, food is slim up in the hills and the woodland creatures come closer in. As citizens of planet earth, we all need to be aware of this and drive more slowly and carefully. These animals do not deserve to be mindlessly slaughtered just so we can arrive at our destination ten seconds earlier.

Please everyone, be careful when you are on the road.

No comments: