Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Supreme Court Nominee John Roberts - And Away We Go!!!

John Kerry just sent out a message asking us to fight the nomination of Mr. Roberts to the Supreme Court. While I do not care for Mr. Roberts or his political and legal agenda, I do believe that President Bush has the right to nominate whomever he wants. I also believe that those of us who do not agree with Mr. Bush's choice have the right to fight it. Here is my response to Senator Kerry:


Mr. Kerry et al,

First of all, I completely agree with you about the choice of Mr. Roberts for Supreme Court Judge. Personally, I think it stinks but I also believe that according to the current laws of the country, Mr. Bush, however misguided he may be, has every right to nominate whomever he so chooses. THAT being said, however, I think perhaps the time has come to visit the idea of term limits for Supreme Court Justices. I believe that whatever perceived loss of continuity this idea may present to the constituency would be balanced by the gain of true continuity in reflecting the will of the population at a given time.

Now, I do not think that we should ping pong judges and decisions back and forth, but the present system, in terms of checks and balances, does not work for me. Perhaps you have thoughts on the matter?

No comments: