Saturday, May 03, 2008

R.I.P. Eight Belles

That's it for horse racing - for me, anyway...

I will never again watch another Kentucky Derby or any other horse race; for that matter, I will not watch any "sport" which involves the unwitting cooperation of animals. I was rooting for Eight Belles to win today - after all, she would have been the fourth filly to win the derby. And it could have happened: just before she collapsed, she finished a strong second behind Big Brown. At first, I thought maybe she was just winded but I knew circumstances were dire when I saw her surrounded by two equine ambulances - obviously, the powers that be wanted to spare the spectators from bearing witness to her euthanization.

I immediately called Darlene and after a good cry, she explained to me why euthanizing a horse with two broken ankles is better than allowing her to heal. I am still not sure that I believe that but at least that little filly is no longer in pain.

Life sucks...

1 comment:

DebGrabien said...

Nodding over here. That poor baby.

I stopped watching racing a few years back. There just didn't seem to be anything in it for the horse; it's all for the humans.

Breeding animls for our own amusement, half the time resulting in genetic breakdowns - WTH? They've bred respiratory failure into Persian cats, hip dysplasia into larger breed dogs and now, according to my fiend Judy (she raises Lippizans), breeding horses for upper body strength, resulting in fragile legs.

There are days I look at my own species, and wonder where we went so wrong.